Thursday, January 7, 2010

Brainstorming Idea #5: by Logan

I only know Detroit as well as I know the stories on this blog. I hear its run-down, leaky faucets, vacant lots, garbage piles, foreclosures, although I've never been. A light goes on when I think of Detroit. Or maybe it's a new galaxy forming. Whatever it is, I am drawn to this place.

There is a bin in my yard full of food scraps, sticks and dirt. I know the pears and strawberries are in the middle and butternut squash is near the top. During the composting process, fungus, bacteria, insects, heat, microorganisms, and enzymes go to work on the leftovers. They work long hours in a hot, smelly box, for compost, so that our seeds can grow and be nourished within it. What comes out of this pile of waste is the foundation of life. This mixture of kitchen scraps and yard debris will decompose and reformulate into a rich, sweet smelling compost. In that, seeds will grow.


I will advocate for a compost bin anywhere, but since I will be in Detroit this summer, I will help you make one out of things we find. Let's have fun and grow a garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment